Tuesday, January 07, 2014

Fox Wash, Donkey Rinse

So, I saw this article, "Wal-Mart Recalls Donkey Meat in China," and I assumed that people were complaining that Wal-Mart was selling donkey meat as if it were pork.

But...no.  The problem is that Wal-Mart is selling fox meat as if it were donkey meat.  Selling donkey meat is fine. "Damn,  Xiùyīng, this tastes like ass!  Where did you get this?"

"Wal-Mart, isn't it great?"

"It sure is!  Can I have some more?"

And so I had to go to Warren Zevon for a title.  Sometimes it's the only way.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Donkey meat is delicacy in China. My first trip there, the farewell dinner was at a restaurant called something like Donkey Head to Tail. It is just what it sounds like, you get a piece from every part of the donkey. If your party was big enough, you could even choose a donkey from the pen outside (in advance of course) for your meal. It was good - all of it.

Mungowitz said...

I'm sure I would enjoy donkey meat. No disrespect intended.

I was just surprised that having the donkey meat adulterated with fox was criminal. But it turns out that if one reads on, the problem is that there is a huge amount of fox meat because of the fur trade.

The whole thing is just outside my experience. Thanks for the perspective!

TimmyD said...

It's a good day when you can search through Warren Zevon's discography. It makes me wistful for some SPLENDID ISOLATION with some good tunes. I would be a RENEGADE and PLAY IT ALL NIGHT LONG! POOR, POOR, PITIFUL ME that I havent the time lately. It's hard to be a MODEL CITIZEN when you don't have time to relax. You see, I am an EXCITABLE BOY and this WILD AGE filled with LAWYERS, GUNS and MONEY makes me feel like I need to HASTEN DOWN THE WIND endlessly. We are always LOOKING FOR THE NEXT BEST THING or a CERTAIN GIRL that can end our BAD LUCK STREAK or fill our EMPTY-HANDED HEART. But my Pappy always used to say, "I won't complain if I have a BED of COALS because I'll SLEEP WHEN I'M DEAD."