Sunday, July 12, 2009

Some Important Verbs

Angus and I have been having a small debate, about two verbs. But with help from Martin K., I have come up with the key distinction.

Angus claims (and rightly) that the verb "to Jess" means to make certain social commitments, perhaps only implicitly but still clearly, and then just completely blow them off. For example, if you are skiing with several people, and all make plans for going to dinner after the next run. Then one or two of the group see the route you are taking down, and with nothing more than a "I'm not going that way" take off down a much longer run, served by a different lift line. You have been "Jessed" (named after the master Jesser, Jess Yawitz. (A junior Jess master is Tom Gilligan, coming up fast through the rankings, for Jessing promised golf outings).

"To Munger" is, I would claim, somewhat different. I do have the habit of going to a party, and then when it is time to go I just leave. Not quite sneak out, but...okay, I sneak out. I don't like the whole big scene of taking leave, small talk, interrupting the conversation of other people just so I can go home. This is NOT Jessing, which involves the breaking of the promise for further social interaction. Anyway, Martin Kypta came up with the perfect short definition of Mungering: "To Munger is to waive goodbye." I wish I had thought of that.

UPDATE: Angus is going to argue that "To Munger" has at least two archaic meanings. The first is to use one's large (and possibly smelly) body to wind around plates or boxes of supposedly shared food items, thereby claiming them, much as a dog might. (And, yes, this did really happen, absolutely.)

The second is to make large (in fact, grandiose) claims about athletic skills and mastery of sports. It later turns out the actual talent level is much, MUCH less, and then the Mungerer will make some even MORE preposterous excuse. The excuse simply adds to the comedy material of John Jarosz, who retells the story four or five times each day for a month.

While I do honor Angus' position as the keeper of the flame of tradition, I think these two archaic meanings are no longer in common usage.

3 comments:

Mrs. Mungowitz said...

I so agree with Martin, having experienced it often. Michael will be home working for hours and then, poof, just gone. And could be gone for hours. No parting words like, "I'm going to the store.. I'm going to the office, I'm going to the gym." Cause cell phone no use in these circumstances. So I have learned to live with it. Beats having him away for three months

Martin said...

Haha, now I see. It took me a while to figure that "i" out.

Well, this is probably the way concepts travel. People who have no clue about the use of a certain language come into play.

Anyway, I am already a proud inventor. Fortunately, I was not struck by lightning while I invented.

Angus said...

It's funny but I always know when Mike is leaving or getting off the phone; he shouts "SEE YOU"!!!! and hangs up or books or both!