Saturday, May 24, 2008

Bob Barr Reception

Last night at the LP Nat Conv, the reception for Prez candidate Bob Barr was, to say the least, well-attended.

I had dinner with some people I consider to be "in the know," at least compared to me (not that difficult). Their list of "top-tier" Prez candidates, in terms of having a chance to take it (listed alphabetically):

Bob Barr, Mike Gravel, George Phillies, Wayne Allyn Root, Mary Ruwart

Like I said, they know more than I. But I don't see any chance for Gravel or Phillies.

So, "barring" a first ballot disaster, and substantial movement after MANY ballots, I think the nominee will be Barr, Root, or Ruwart. And, of those, I would put Root last, though not out of the running. Barr and Ruwart are different, each has strong backing of an identifiable contingent in the party, and frankly either of them would be a good candidate for us.

2 comments:

Tom said...

You are right about Gravel, but he will be in the debate. Phillies is trailing, but a strong debate performance combined with weakness from Ruwart could swing the "real" libertarians to his cause.

Root is in third place, but so was Badnarick four years ago. If Mary & George are eliminated, Root will beat Barr, because the "real" libs hate him less than Barr.

Mungowitz said...

I should note that Tom is one the smart people I had dinner with last night, so if you want to go with a set of predictions, you should probably go with his.