Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Mungowitz Called NAMES (sniffle)

Wow. So I gave a comment on Obama's speech. It was brief, pretty tepid. I underlined the quote from me, so it is easy to pick out:

The big question is whether Obama's speech Tuesday did enough to quell some of the negative impacts on his campaign.

"I don't know whether it will be sufficient to stem a racial backlash against his candidacy," said Thomas Mann at the Brookings Institution.

"But he clearly demonstrated his capacity to lead public opinion and not simply be a slave to it. Indeed, I would say he appeared wise beyond his years and genuinely presidential."

Michael Munger at Duke University called it a "brave" speech. "He is trying to take an actual position rather than just distance himself from the Rev. Wright."

Some analysts say it's much better for Obama to confront explosive race issues now because they were bound to become front and centre at some point.

"If he has to confront racial division in October in a major way, he will lose the election," said Larry Sabato at the University of Virginia.

"By October, he needs to have the media and voters say: 'We've already finished with this subject. What about Iraq. What about the economy?"'


ATSRTWT

Almost immediately after, I got this email.


(HUMAN-DILDO) <(HUMDILD@emailsomewhere.com>
to munger@acpub.duke.edu,
date Tue, Mar 18, 2008 at 8:30 PM
*********************************
Mike, your analysis of Mr. Obama speech was laughable. You were evidently dismissive with your unrestrained candor of Mr. Obama's chances of winning a general election.

if I didn't know better, I would think you have been spending your weekends organizing fundraisers for the boys back in Pulaski, TN.

FYI, my Munger, which I assume is shorthand for War Monger!

My parting gift is again to remind you that before too long, most of our future leaders will be of a darker hue! And that my friend is just plain fact, based solely on the demographic trends of the great United States.

I will even go as far as to say that there is a greater chance of these next few elections, four to five at most, can, and will be seen as the twilight of an ill conceived era. Again, I will say, 250 years at most!

*******************************
um....okay. I guess you win, pumpkin. I'm no match for you. The whole "War Monger" thing....you should write for Leno.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Gotta think some folk'll latch on to Mann using the term "slave."

Anonymous said...

LOL

Thanks.

Unknownprofessor said...

To go from the underlined comment to HD's analysis takes some leaps of logic that I can't manage without several shots of tequila (worms and all).

Must be all the voices in his head.

Just damn.

John Thacker said...

Well, the first thing that seems obvious is that he thought that you gave Larry Sabato's quote as well. Even that's not enough.

Oh, and I saw a Munger4NCGov bumper sticker on a Virginia-plated car up here in Fairfax, VA.

Chris Lawrence said...

"Well, the first thing that seems obvious is that he thought that you gave Larry Sabato's quote as well."

That may be the more insulting aspect of the email :)

Tom said...

It's more proof for my thesis: A person looking for a chance to be offended will surely find it.